Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » What your opinion about boys playing female?

What your opinion about male users playing only female characters? So, althrough in real life I'm a hetero boy, in RP I like very much playing female characters
I don't see anything wrong with it, why would there be? Its simply just ones preference in characters that they play. I know several people who play majority male characters despite being cis women irl!
While heterosexual men who play other heterosexual men only is something that does happen, I also see heterosexual men playing gay or bisexual men, straight women, et cetera, just as much.

I think a lot of RP is being able to explore and learn about different identities. I'm non-binary and identify as transgender, but most of my characters are cisgender people. I'm also a lesbian, but most of my characters are either bisexual or asexual. On top of that, I'm white with a mixed/unknown race grandfather, but probably 60% to 70% of my characters are people of color or are "coded" (vaguely portrayed as) as such. There's no specific reason for these things. Those are just the characters I like to make and play. I just say, "They're going to be a white, asexual man," because it just feels right.

If you enjoy playing women, go for it! It says nothing about you as a roleplayer, other than that's what you enjoy playing as.

There's a whole other can of worms with turning RP into what is known as "identity tourism," where you're only playing a character with a different identity than yours for the sole purpose of "knowing what it's like" and finding entertainment in that, when someone will likely never really understand what it's like to be that identity and experience it IRL (I say 'likely' because some identities can change over time; for example, a straight woman later on realizing she's bisexual, a cisgender person realizing they're transgender, etc). But I don't think that's what you're doing at all!

To summarize; play who you want! Do what feels right!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » What your opinion about boys playing female?

Moderators: Keke, Cass, Claine, Sanne, Ilmarinen, Darth_Angelus