Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » Breaking the Lights || 1x1 RP

Jane Harper (played by jennaisante)

Limited RP for Jane Harper x Adrian Hawthorne

Almost Spring, February, 20xx

Months had passed since the campus orientation had been held, yet Jane's captivating singing performance on that fateful day had left an indelible mark on the campus community. Her soaring vocals and exceptional stage presence had earned her the affectionate nickname, 'the campus singer.' Every freshman knew her as the enigmatic lady with the extraordinary voice.

Complementing Jane's musical prowess was her best friend, Sophia, who had gained a reputation as the 'campus-wild' girl. Her infectious enthusiasm, mischievous spirit, and magnetic personality had made her a familiar face across the entire campus. Together, Jane and Sophia formed an unlikely duo, their contrasting personalities creating a vibrant and dynamic presence within the university halls.

As the season gently transitioned into Spring, Jane and Sophia walked toward the grand aula to attend Humanities course, where they joined a diverse group of students representing a myriad of majors.

With a warm smile and a friendly nod, Jane greeted the man in his marine uniform who had already taken his seat in the classroom. Her gaze met his, and in that brief moment, a silent bond was forged between them. As Jane and Sophia made their way to their chosen seats in the middle row, the classroom filled with the eager chatter of anticipation for the upcoming lecture.

3b996c82406baa9b2a26531a4db0d257.jpg
The young Marine was still in his uniform. He had decided to put to use his Montgomery GI Bill and Post-9/11 Bill to better himself, hence why he is the oldest freshman in college. However, this was alot different than what he was used to.

When his eyes met that of the pretty girl's, little did he know he would eventually end up loving this girl like a baby sister. He gave her a friendly nod before he returned to the idle conversation he was in with a younger student who seemed to be taken aback by what Adrian was saying; he was telling him about the fact that the Marine Corps was giving him a full ride meaning not only does he have steady employment, he also would have no student loans to pay off, nor did he have to apply for any scholarships.
Jane Harper (played by jennaisante) Topic Starter

Throughout the class, Sophia's head bobbed up and down, but her closed eyelids and faint snoring betrayed the fact that she was fast asleep rather than listening to the monotonous drone of the lecture. Jane as her loyal companion, noticed Sophia's slumbering state and desperate to keep her awake. She would discreetly nudge Sophia's shoulder or give her a sharp pinch, causing her to jolt upright with a startled grin.

"I'm so sleepy..." Sophia would whisper on Jane's ear, her voice barely above a murmur. "This theory stuff is killing me."

Jane couldn't help but agree with her friend, even as she forced herself to pay attention to the lecturer. Sophia was unable to resist the lure of sleep any longer, slumped her head down onto her textbook. With a loud thud, the book slid off her desk, its pages fluttering as it flew towards the marine guy in front of them.

Jane gasped in surprise at the sudden commotion. She watched as Sophia being oblivious to her mistake, continued to doze with her head resting on her arms.

"I'm sorry..." Jane muttered to Adrian, her voice barely a whisper. "Could you help me... That my friend's book... Fell off your desk."

Jane hesitated, torn between wanting to apologize further and wanting to drag Sophia out of her slumbering state before she embarrassed herself any further.
He gave a smile before picking Sophia's book up and passing it back to Jane. He then returned his attention back to the lecture. Clearly he was annoyed, but this wasn't nearly as tedious as listening to a long-winded company commander, but it was up there.

He didn't seem to care, but his digital cammo pattern uniform make him stick out like a sore thumb. At least some people here were good people.

"Thank you." Jane whispered to Adrian with a faint smile playing upon her lips as he returned Sophia's book.

As their class were dismissed, Sophia turned to Jane, her eyes pleading, "Jane, could we grab a coffee? I need something to keep me awake."

Jane nodded in agreement. As they made their way out of the classroom, Jane's path was suddenly intercepted by Adrian.

"Hi... I'm Jane," she introduced herself, a warm smile gracing her features. "And this is Sophia." she added, gesturing towards her vibrant-haired friend. "We're going to get some coffee. Would you like to join us? My treat." Jane extended the invitation to Adrian, her voice laced with a hint of kindness.
He gave her a charming smile before responding "Yes ma'am. That would be great, but I think I should cover it"

Everything about him screamed military. The way he spoke, carried himself, even the way he carried himself was evident that the training he went through simply became second-nature.

"I don't know where they serve coffee here. I would venture to guess that we'd have to hit the galley here on campus"

Ma'am.

Sophia burst into laughter, finding the young marine's formality amusing. Jane, however, gave Sophia a playful nudge, her expression a mix of amusement and irritation. "Just call me Jane." she said, a soft smile gracing her lips. "It's a bit...odd being called 'ma'am' in this setting."

Jane glanced at Adrian, her grin widening. "Relax, you don't have to be all stiff and formal." she continued, her voice laced with warmth. "We're just regular people here, no need for military protocol." Sophia chimed in, her voice full of understanding, "We're civilians, we won't throw you in a brig for forgetting your hierarchy."

Jane and Sophia exchange glance when Adrian mentioned about finding a coffee in a galley.

"Uhm..." Jane started, "I think they sell coffee around the canteen. It's not really the authentic taste like the coffee shop or Sbucks, but it should keep you awake, at least." She smiled encouragingly. "Come with us. We'll show you the way."

0f3818073ed56ecc36055d1e6e97c670.jpg

As the trio had arranged to meet at the coffee cart situated within the confines of their campus canteen, the tantalizing aroma of freshly brewed coffee permeated the air, beckoning them irresistibly. Sophia, her eyes still heavy with sleep, ordered a black coffee with a shot of espresso, hoping the strong brew would jolt her awake. She needed all the energy she could muster for the day ahead.

Jane opted for a latte. She couldn't stand the bitterness of a straight black coffee, preferring a smoother, sweeter flavor. "Which coffee do you want?" Jane asked to Adrian.
He went into his wallet and got his card "I think a black coffee with a double espresso might work ma....uhhh...Jane". He waited as the barista,made their drinks. Once the drinks were finished and they were served, he handed the batista his card and drew a $10 from his wallet and placed it in the barista's hand. "That's not a tip, that's a gift. Tips are taxable income, okay sir?"

The batista glanced at Jane and Sophia almost taken aback "well thank you!" The batista put the cash in his pocket after handing Adrian his receipt. The young Marine turned to these girls and spoke "so how much time do you have before you both have to go to class? I've got about an hour...."

He sipped his coffee and then looked at his cup and nodded his approval. "Not too bitter. This is really good..."

Sophia's jaw dropped, a single Woah escaping her lips as she watched Adrian hand the barista a crisp ten-dollar bill. The gesture was so generous, so unexpected, that it momentarily stunned her. Jane, ever the observant friend, nudged Sophia with her elbow, a knowing smirk playing on her lips.

"We also have an hour before our next design class," Jane announced, taking a seat at a nearby table. Sophia followed suit, settling beside her, both girls facing Adrian. "So, what major are you taking?" Jane asked casually, taking a sip of her coffee. Meanwhile, Sophia's gaze wandered, her eyes darting around the canteen, landing on various men.

"Sophia and I are both in the fashion art major," Jane explained, a smile gracing her lips. "And I have a friend in the photography major." Sophia leaned closer to Adrian, whispering, "She talks about her childhood friend every single time! It's like he's the only person who matters to her." Sophia giggled, taking a quick gulp of her coffee.

Jane was catching Sophia's antics, lightly tapped her forehead, a playful scolding in her eyes. "Don't listen to her, Adrian. She's crazy." Jane shook her head, amusement dancing in her eyes. Sophia was undeterred, reached out and wrapped her arms around Jane's shoulders, pulling her close. "But you love me, right?" she grinned, her voice full of mischief. "Yeah, yeah, I love you and your crazy head." Jane sighed and chuckling softly.

"Jane is a tsundere," Sophia whispered again, her gaze fixed on Adrian. A hint of mischief sparkled in her eyes after she leaned in closer.
He took three swills of his coffee and cleared his throat "Oh mine? I am going for a teaching degree. I want to teach US History to high school students. I saw a video by some YouTuber who is an army drill Sergeant and it inspired me. That, and my childlike fascination with Colonel Chesty Puller. He's been a fascination of mine since the 4th grade so much that in the 5th grade, I did a report on him when we were assigned to do a report on any one historical figure that influences you, and it was gonna be him, Aaron Burr, Susan B. Anthony, or Whitney Young. My fascination with Chesty Puller is why I joined the Marines AND started a band with four other Marines and we call ourselves Chesty's Bastards, but I digress. Sorry about that. What prompted you two to pursue fashion?"

He led his new friends over to a table and he pulled their seats out for them and then pushed them to the table after they sat before seating himself and taking another sip of his coffee.

He felt Sophia's eyes on him. Regardless of him being a combat veteran, he was still intensely shy so he had to force himself to maintain eye contact. He wanted to stare a hole through the table he was seated at, but he fought against that idea, so he just kept a grin on his face.

For the time Adrian took to share his unique and compelling back story with both Sophia and Jane, he delved into the factors that influenced his decision-making when it came to selecting his study course. His narrative was not just a recount of his academic journey, but a reflection of his multifaceted life as a young marine.

Jane listened intently, captivated by how Adrian seamlessly juggled two significant roles. Him as a dedicated guardian of his country and him as a committed student striving for academic excellence. She found it truly fascinating how he managed to balance the rigorous demands of military life—filled with its challenges and responsibilities—with the pursuit of knowledge in his studies. This duality showcased not only his dedication but also his resilience in navigating the complexities of both worlds. She began to appreciate the depth of Adrian's experiences, understanding how his military background intertwined with his academic aspirations. The way he articulated his motivations and the passion behind his choices painted a vivid picture of a young man who was determined to excel in both arenas. It was inspiring to see someone embrace such diverse responsibilities and maintain a focus on achieving personal growth while contributing to something much larger than himself.

Sophia, on the other hand, could hardly contain her admiration for Adrian, her eyes sparkling like marbles, reflecting the awe she felt over his impressive background. She found herself captivated not just by his achievements, but also by the depth of his knowledge and experience in a field that was unfamiliar yet fascinating to her.

"You sure have an interesting background in your choice of study." Jane remarked, her voice light and casual as she took a sip of her latte. The caramel and sweetness roam inside her mouth, but Jane’s focus remained on the conversation unfolding in front of her. “As for me, I've always had a passion for fashion. Ever since high school, I have loved to mix and match my clothes, creating unique outfits that express my personality. I also enjoy designing my own clothes. It started as a fun activity when I was younger. I used to sew clothes for my dolls, inspired by my mom, who is an incredible seamstress,” she added, her voice filled with nostalgia as she turned her attention to her best friend, Sophia, who seemed lost in her own thoughts.

Sophia finally broke her gaze from Adrian and directed her focus towards Jane, her expression warm and supportive. “As for me, my family owns a boutique.” she said with a bright smile plastered across her face. “It's an exciting world to be a part of, and it gives me a unique perspective on fashion and style. I feel lucky because I already have some foundational knowledge thanks to my family business. So, after I graduate, I really want to dive deeper into fashion. I have to learn one or two tricks of the trade to complement my future endeavors." With that, she shrugged her shoulders.

"Anyway, have you found your model, Jane?" Sophia asked, her gaze shifting to Jane with a curious intensity. "I already made a deal with this muscular guy."

At the mention of their upcoming debut showcase, an overwhelming wave of panic washed over Jane. "I haven't!" she exclaimed, the anxiety evident in her voice. She thought about Jared and Benjamin. Both of them were great friends and would likely help her out, but her assignment to create a collection of men's clothing felt daunting. Boldly approaching either of the two men seemed impossible. While Jared would undoubtedly jump at the chance to model for her—after all, he’d volunteer for anything if it meant supporting Jane. Benjamin would also be keen to step up as a way to challenge Jared. However, Jane couldn't shake the nagging feeling that neither of their physiques would quite match the standards of a runway model.

Taking a deep breath, Jane turned her thoughts to another possibility. "Adrian..." she began, her voice slightly shaky. "Do you want to be my showcase model?" She gulped nervously, hoping he wouldn’t decline. "We're tasked with making men's clothing for our final assignment this semester, and we’ll be holding a runway showcase at the end of the month. You have... a really nice build." she managed, the words tumbling out in a rush. She knew that as a young marine, he had the kind of physique that would make any piece of clothing look good—like it was tailor-made for him.

"I’ll even pay you." Jane added, her hands entwined in a prayer-like gesture as she looked up at Adrian with pleading eyes. She could only hope he would agree to step into the role and help her out of this bind. The stakes felt high, but she was determined to make her showcase a success.
Even at a simple glance, Adrian could tell that these two had an eye for fashion and taking simple clothes and turning them into high fashion. He listened to the two discuss their upcoming assignment and he listened intently. The USMC corporal brought his coffee to his lips and he took a sip and rested his cup upon the table.

Once Jane turned to him and asked, he was instantly endeared and took concern with her plight and he grinned and looked down almost blushing. "I have no problem with modeling for you. I should warn you that I was shot twice in combat, and I have a couple scars from it, but if that's not an issue, I have no problem being your model"

Adrian was built alot like the average Marine Corps drill instructor: lean and skinny, but powerful and intense.

Sophia playfully mimicked a finger gun gesture, aiming it mischievously at Adrian, a wide grin spreading across her face as she whispered, “Gotcha!” when she saw that he had agreed to be Jane's model for their upcoming showcase assignment.

“Really? I'm so happy you agreed with me!” Jane exclaimed, her eyes lighting up with delight. Her smile was almost infectious as she envisioned the possibilities of working with Adrian. “Meet me here again at 6 PM? Do you have any class at that hour? I’ll finish my class right at six. We can dive into the details then!” Her voice bubbled with enthusiasm at the thought of sewing clothes for Adrian, whose athletic build and charming presence made him an ideal model for her designs.

Before Adrian could respond, Sophia glanced at her watch with a hint of urgency. “We have to go now, sorry!” she said, swiftly rising to her feet. She slung her backpack over her shoulder, which seemed to weigh her down with both the demands of school and the excitement of creative possibilities ahead. “It was a pleasure to meet you, catch you later, Adrian!” With that, she gave him a friendly wink, and the two friends began to rush toward their next class.

As they hurried off, Jane turned back for a moment, waving goodbye to Adrian as they dashed away. The thought of their upcoming designing class filled her with anticipation, and she could hardly contain the buzz of creativity flowing through her. With her heart set on crafting something spectacular for Adrian.
The Marine would give a polite nod to Jane as she departed. He got up and grabbed his patrol cap and took off to his next class. He didn't see any reason why he shouldn't help this new person. He started his way to his next class.

Around 5:41, or how he had come to identify what time it was 1741 hrs, he had arrived back at the table they sat. This had everything to do with how he was trained; early is on time, and on time is late. He would sit and plug his headphones into his ear and started listening to music. He took this opportunity to open his laptop and begin typing out an assignment.

There wasn't much for him to do at the time, so he started working on his assignments. For some reason, he couldn't stop thinking about the interaction and especially Sophia. Her attitude and demeanor reminded him of a friend he had back home and how infectious her bubbly personality was. Cassie. Cassie Wengren. He started to think: what if Cassie and Sophia ever met? "Anyone in their kill radius would end up in a fantastic mood" was the first thought that hit him which got a subdued chuckle from Adrian.

It was 6:10 PM.

And Jane dashed through the bustling corridors of the university campus, her heart pounding with anxiety. She had kept her lecturer, Prof. Hwang, longer than she'd intended while getting the last revision on her sketch. The professor had scrutinized her work, offering constructive criticism as well as suggestions that required additional elements be included in her design. This ended up consuming more of Jane’s time than she had planned, leading to her unfortunate tardiness.

She quickly slung her bag over her shoulder, throwing a hasty goodbye to her friend Sophia, who was already on her way to meet Samuel. As Jane turned away, her eyes darted to the clock on her phone, a wave of panic washing over her. God! I shouldn’t keep Adrian waiting! she thought, feeling a knot of worry tighten in her stomach. The last thing she wanted was to make a bad impression on him.

With resolve fueling her steps, Jane sprinted toward the canteen, her thoughts racing as she scanned the crowded tables for a glimpse of Adrian. After a moment, she spotted him. He was seated in the same exact spot where they had shared coffee before, a place that was fast becoming their own little corner of the campus. Without wasting another moment, Jane quickly took the seat directly across from him, her breath still heavy from her rush.

“I’m really sorry that I’m late." Jane huffed as she tried to regain her composure, her cheeks flushed from the exertion. “Prof. Hwang is full of critics! She held me back until I had a better sketch.” With a sigh of relief, she placed her bag down on the seat next to him, grateful to finally be sitting across from Adrian. “Have you been waiting long? Sophia mentioned she would be meeting Samuel, so she couldn’t join me to meet you. I hope you don’t mind?”

As she spoke, Jane unzipped her bag with eager anticipation and pulled out her sketchbook. “I’ve actually been working on a new idea for designing a unisex coat.” she explained, her eyes sparkling with enthusiasm. “A coat that can be worn by both men and women. I know the assignment is focused on men’s clothing, but I couldn’t resist exploring this concept.”

She carefully opened the sketchbook to reveal her design, a blend of elegance and functionality. “What do you think?” she asked, her voice tinged with nervous excitement. “Do you think I should add more details to this, or should I explore different avenues?” Jane looked up at Adrian, hoping for his insight and feedback, eager to hear what he thought of her burgeoning idea.

92758436-illustration-of-fashion-stylish-woman-with-black-hair.jpg
(Credit to the artist on the watermark)
"Hurry up and wait" was a commonplace thing in the military, that it rarely registered with Adrian anymore. When Jane got to their table, he looked up at her and quickly paused the music he was listening to and stopped his typing. "Oh it's fine. It happens" He shrugged "I think I've been here since" He looked at his watch "1740.......that's 5:41 PM in civilian time"

He stopped what he was doing in order to look at the drawing. He took it from her and he started to look it over carefully "most things that are unisex primarily end up being used mostly by men. CK One was a unisex fragrance which wound up becoming marketed as a men's fragrance. My dad wore it from his freshman year in college onward when it first came out. I really like it, but I wear Stetson". He kind of went off on a tangent, but he was stressing a point.

"I really like the buttons on this jacket for some reason. I feel like it brings the whole thing together, but the shirt wouldn't look right on me. What time of year will this jacket be intended for, or is it just simply to serve a less utility fashion and more of 'this looks really cool'-type things? My platoon leader wears things like this, so I know you would have a military customer base....pun only half-intended"

Little did either of them know, but in the future, that very jacket, the finished product, would wind up selling very well especially in the Naval NCX, Marines MCX, and the Army/Air Force PX stores all throughout the world for the American military, which makes the last part of his statement foreshadowing.

"Do you want me to run back to my apartment and change into civilian clothes so we can do this modeling shoot?"

Jane listened attentively to Adrian's explanation, her focus unwavering. She appreciated having someone with such expertise to provide insights on topics outside her own area of knowledge. His perspective on men's clothing was refreshing, and she felt a surge of appreciation for the way he illuminated aspects of fashion she hadn’t considered before.

“Wow.” she exclaimed, genuinely amazed at his mention of military attire. “How did it never occur to me that even men in the brigade need fine clothes?” The thought resonated with her, and she felt a burst of admiration for Adrian's ability to think outside the box. In that moment, she almost wanted to clap for him, recognizing the brilliance in his words.

"I’ve actually been focusing a lot on the coat." Jane continued, gesturing animatedly as she spoke. "The shirt, well, you can really put anything underneath it. The coat is what makes the statement."

"But I understand your point." she replied thoughtfully. "I see now that I should incorporate more features into the coat while considering your insights."

As she reflected on her design, she realized she hadn't even allocated specific timelines for this coat. Initially, she thought it could be a versatile piece, suitable for both men and women. However, Adrian's observations urged her to reconsider and refine her design further.

“Oh, is it okay if I come along with you?” Jane asked, looking directly at Adrian with earnest eyes. “I really need to take your body measurements to ensure that the coat is tailored specifically to fit you.” She paused for a moment, gauging his reaction before continuing, “But if you're not comfortable doing it at your home, we could always use the fashion classroom. They have all the necessary equipment there. Body measurers, height and weight tools, mannequins, and a collection of design tools.”
He hade a face as if he was in thought for a moment before he made his response. "I don't think that adding anything would do much. In the military, we go by KISS, which means either Keep It Simple Sweetheart or Keep It Simple, Stupid' depending on how you want to see it. Are you going for the idea of making it a little bit more utility? Go ahead and brief me on the way to my place. Are you ready to go now?"

He lowered the drawing so he could look her in the eye. He was fully intent upon giving her honest feedback, but he was going to use decorum and candor. He wanted her to succeed, so he was willing to do almost anything to help his new friend. His voice was full of sincerity as he spoke to her. He was clearly impressed by her ability and her passion.

"Wherever you prefer to take my measurements is fine with me. I thought that the jacket was already done. I was looking forward to strutting around showing the jacket off and how absolutely gorgeous I am in it"

“Alright, let’s keep things KISS, it’s as simple as that.” She nodded in agreement with his sentiment, and she couldn’t help but appreciate the clever pun he had thrown in. Whoever had come up with it deserved a tip of the hat, she thought lightheartedly.

“How do you feel about the color choice?” she continued, her enthusiasm bubbling over. “Do you think brown would pair well with most colors? Or do you have a preference for black? I had this idea of making it reversible, you know—one side brown and the other side black. That way, you could choose whichever side you wanted to show off each time you wore it.”

She considered his suggestions for a moment, shaking her head gently. “Not really.” she replied thoughtfully. “I still need to sketch out my vision more clearly. Plus, I need to find a model before I start sewing; I want the fit to be absolutely perfect. If it’s too small or too oversized, it just won’t have the look I’m aiming for. Although I’m confident you could still pull it off admirably!”

As she gathered her sketchbook and bag, she rose to her feet, glancing at the clock and realizing how late it had gotten. “It’s getting kind of late, though.” she said with a hint of regret. “What do you say we meet again tomorrow? It’s Saturday, after all. I don’t have any classes, so if you’re free, you could show me your place. What do you think? Deal?” She flashed him a genuine smile, her excitement palpable at the thought of continuing their collaboration.
"Rah" Was the response he gave "I'm sorry, I mean yes. I tend to forget that not everyone speaks Marine Corps." Being in the Marines for three years had totally altered his speech and mannerisms.

"As far as the color scheme, I think that would be a good idea. Make it black and the other side tan or something. I can see that working. Black and tan are gender-neutral colors, so it would stand to reason that black and brown would work the best for that"

It was no problem for him to help people. Especially classmates. He was pretty happy to have a friend who isn't a Marine. He had one friend from his childhood he missed dearly, and it wasn't because he didn't want friends from his past, he just fell out of contact with him.

"Just call me when you're ready and I'll come"

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » Breaking the Lights || 1x1 RP

Moderators: Keke, Cass, Claine, Sanne, Ilmarinen, Darth_Angelus