Skip to main content

Forums » Looking for RP » Looking for Monster of the Week Players (closed)

This Looking For RP topic is marked as closed, meaning it is no longer seeking new players.

Hello! I'm not sure how popular ttrpgs are on this site, but I figured I'd shoot my shot ^^

Monster of the Week is a system that was used in Adventure Zone for one of their campaigns and ever since I saw it there I've honestly really loved it. It's not a difficult system - the game only requires the use of 2d6, there aren't a billion stats to calculate or keep track of, and the playbooks are all super fun and easy to understand

If you've never played it before, that's perfectly fine! I have all the standard playbooks (form-fillable) and a list of the player moves you can do in game, which all have explanations on how to use them and how they work on the sheet. There are other playbooks besides the standard ones, but I don't have the sheets for them, so if you wanna use a different playbook you'll need to give me a rundown on what it is and probably find a way to fill out your sheet on your own

The hook for the campaign is simple: a chasm in reality opens and monsters start coming out; your characters are the ones put up to the plate to defeat and seal them away again. I know it sounds bland at face value, but I hope you can trust I intend on making it very complicated later ^^

The vibes I'm going for are on the heavier side, there's potential for cosmic horror, body horror, and there will be blood and guts. Obviously there will be moments of comedy and levity too, but I don't plan on it being haha funny all the time

I'm aiming for at least 3 players, at most 5. I don't have a preference for what playbooks anyone uses, though I will admit that someone playing a Chosen will make dropping lore bits easier on me - I can also very easily make an NPC to explain stuff if The Chosen playbook doesn't jump out at anyone

The game will be run over text, I'm not very good at running these sorts of things verbally. The campaign will either be run in a group dm on RPR or through Discord, whichever is easiest and preferable for everyone.

The way I tend to handle running these sorts of things is that we all agree on a day and time where we should be available so we can rapid fire send responses for a bit and make a lot of progress, then between those scheduled times people can just reply whenever they feel like it. It doesn't have to be the same day every week or even happen every week, my schedule can be a bit hectic at times so it's honestly easier for me to keep things loose so I'm not having to cancel all the time because something came up

I also prefer turn orders so everyone can get a word in if they want to and no one's getting left in the dust. I don't have a preference for response lengths, due to the nature of ttrpgs, there's gonna be times where sending a one-line response makes more sense than writing a paragraph or two. As long as you're putting effort in and giving everyone stuff to work with, I'm not gonna jump down your throat

If you're interested, either reply directly here or shoot me a dm!!
Magic 60%
Magic may be accepted as truth but is not common. It might be harnessed only by specific beings. Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones.
Technology 50%
Modern
Combat 70%
More combat than not. The setting may be at war, and the characters will likely get involved whether or not they seek it out.
Romance 20%
Romance isn't outright desired, but can happen if we decide the characters are perfect for each other. The romance won't be important to the overall plot.

Details: Character sheets & strict mechanics, adjustable length posts, long-term RP partner preferred. Will be played with a small group of players.

Hey! I'd be down! I've never played before though
powered-howl Topic Starter

Jooters wrote:

Hello!! That’s perfectly fine, I don’t mind explaining how it works ^^

I’m, uh, honestly not sure if I’ll be able to run the campaign though? I’ve had one other person reach out and they haven’t gotten back to me in a bit, but! I’m leaving the ad open just in case ^^

If you still wanna take a look at some of the resources I have so you can see if the system is interesting to you in case I can run it, I can send you the google drive I have via dms. It’s just the playbooks and hunter moves, but I personally feel that looking those over before anything else will give you an idea of whether or not the system and aesthetic will jive with you. It’s also easier to address questions as they come up with this system, if that makes sense

Regardless, thank you for reaching out!!
powered-howl wrote:
Jooters wrote:

I’m, uh, honestly not sure if I’ll be able to run the campaign though? I’ve had one other person reach out and they haven’t gotten back to me in a bit, but! I’m leaving the ad open just in case ^^

If you still wanna take a look at some of the resources I have so you can see if the system is interesting to you in case I can run it, I can send you the google drive I have via dms. It’s just the playbooks and hunter moves, but I personally feel that looking those over before anything else will give you an idea of whether or not the system and aesthetic will jive with you. It’s also easier to address questions as they come up with this system, if that makes sense

Regardless, thank you for reaching out!!

Alr, sure! Feel free to send it over!
powered-howl Topic Starter

Jooters wrote:
powered-howl wrote:
Jooters wrote:

I’m, uh, honestly not sure if I’ll be able to run the campaign though? I’ve had one other person reach out and they haven’t gotten back to me in a…

Alr, sure! Feel free to send it over!

Will do boss ^^

You are on: Forums » Looking for RP » Looking for Monster of the Week Players (closed)

Moderators: Keke, Cass, Claine, Sanne, Ilmarinen, Darth_Angelus